INSTRUCTOR: Laurie Ray, MPT, PhD has over 17 years of experience in school-based practice and is a state-level PT consultant for public schools. She is a co-author and co-publisher of www.SeekFreaks.com, an evidence-based online resource for pediatric PTs, OTs, and SLPs. She also consults for Medicaid and Adapted Physical Education for her state and is an Associate Professor at UNC-Chapel Hill. Laurie is the chair of the APTA Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapists’ School-based Special Interest Group.
AUDIENCE: OTs, PTs, OTAs, PTAs, SLPs and Educators
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL: Intermediate
At the completion of the course, the learner is expected to:
- Identify 2 Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) audit standards for provision of school-based services for students with disabilities
- Select 2 ways documentation can support clinical reasoning for therapy services that promote students’ access and participation in their education
- Determine 2 strategies to ensure that a therapist’s documentation and/or Plan of Care supports medical necessity for reimbursement
- Introduction: Medicaid and Education?
- Ethical Practice
- Medical Necessity
- Lessons Learned from Audits
- Documentation Strategies
- Post-test: 10-item multiple choice. 70% correct answers required to receive a certificate
1.5 continuing education hours of training are awarded to learners who complete this course.
- Apply EBP, LLC is an approved provider of CEUs for PTs and PTAs in IL, NY; and for OTs and OTAs in IN, IL, NY, and AOTA (see imprimatur below for details).