Developmental Coordination Disorder - Assessment
This course will discuss the prevalent but under-diagnosed condition of Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). Patti will discuss how therapists can identify children with probable DCD using the 4 Criteria set by the DSM-5, in order to provide them with proven therapy interventions. Attendees will learn a variety of screening and assessment tools, as well as strategies for adaptation that can help children with DCD successfully participate in meaningful activities with their peers.
Closed Captioned in English.
BONUS PRACTICAL TOOLKIT: Checklist - Identifying DCD using the DSM-5; Resources: Links to Assessment Tools and Must-Reads
Questions regarding payment or purchase order? Email Carlo at [email protected]
What therapists say about Patti
This session had me start thinking about some students on my caseload that likely have DCD. I want to try different treatment approaches with them and work more top down.
- PT with 30 years experience
This was valuable information because it's easy to get in the habit of focusing on one aspect of the child instead of looking at how they present globally.
- OT with 20 years experience
This was a great course! The video example is very helpful to explain the material. I was able to think of many of my students and brainstorm how the provided assessments and interventions will be helpful!
- OT with 3 years experience
INSTRUCTOR: Patti Sharp, OTD, MS, OTR/L is a certified CO-OP Instructor, and OT at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC). She co-leads the Developmental Coordination Disorder Community of Practice at CCHMC. She is an adjunct instructor at the University of Cincinnati. She works with children and youth with DCD, ASD, CP, SCI, TBI, orthopedic and neurologic injuries, and developmental delay. She also previously worked in neurorehabilitation and burn units. Patti is excited to share her passion for evidence-based practices with her therapy colleagues.
AUDIENCE: OTs, PTs, OTAs, PTAs, and Educators
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL: Intermediate
At the completion of the course, the learner is expected to:
- Identify 2 common signs and symptoms of children with possible Developmental Coordination Disorder
- Determine 2 recommended screening and assessment tools for children with possible DCD
- Select 3 effective strategies in helping children with possible DCDC participate in meaningful activities with their peers
- What is Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)?
- DSM-5 Criteria of DCD: Screening and Assessment Tools
- Strategies for Children with DCD
- Post-test: 10-item multiple choice. 70% correct answers required to receive a certificate
1.5 continuing education hours of training are awarded to learners who complete this course.
- Apply EBP, LLC is an approved provider of CEUs for PTs and PTAs in IL, NY; and for OTs and OTAs in IN and IL, and by AOTA (See imprimatur below for details).
- This course is approved for PTs and PTAs in AR, CA.
- These OT state boards accept approval by AOTA, other state boards or associations: AL, AK, AR, DE, DC, FL, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, VA, WI and DC.
- These PT state boards accept approval by other states boards or AOTA: AK, AZ, DE, HI, IN, KY, MI, MT, NC, ND, OR, PA, RI, TN, UT, VT, VA, WI, WY and DC.
- These states do not require pre-approval of courses or have no CE requirements for OTs and OTAs: AZ, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IA, KS, ME, MA, NE, NJ, UT, WA, WV and WY.
- These states do not require pre-approval of courses or have no CE requirements for PTs and PTAs: AL, CO, CT, GA, IA, KS, ME, MA, MO, NE, NH, and WA.
- If you would like to obtain CEUs for another state, please email us.
Learners must watch the video and complete course requirements, including scoring 70% or higher in the post-test to receive a certificate. Five (5) post-test retakes are allowed; if you exceed this limit, please email us.
COURSE RECOMMENDATIONS: Expand your knowledge of DCD and coordination interventions with these courses:
- Webinar: DCD - Interventions; DCD - Differential Diagnosis; Train the Brain - Short Course
- Live Course: CO-OP Approach; Train the Brain! - Full Day
- You will have access to this course for at least 60 days.
- There is no cancellation once course is purchased. Please email us if you have any questions.
- Apply EBP, LLC abide by all provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Apply EBP, LLC is committed to equal educational access for individuals with disabilities. Apply EBP, LLC does not discriminate against any individuals with disabilities from registering or attending any of our courses. We work closely with venues to ensure that facilities utilized are accessible. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact us via email or phone (646-269-9039) with requests for accommodations. Apply EBP, LLC will make every effort to provide reasonable accommodations.